Friday, January 04, 2008

The birth of the Compact Disk

Greetings. When my great-uncle-in-law dies a few years back, one of the things which popped up when we were going through his things was a copy of "Gramophone" magazine from March 1983. Why is this interesting? Well, because March 1983 was the month that Compact Disk was released on an unsuspecting vinyl-loving, cassette loving humanity.

[Interestingly, I was in HMV yesterday and was amazed and delighted to see lots of LP's on sale - and not just the boom-bang-innit dance artists either. Lots of current groups are releasing to vinyl now as well. However, the real shocker was the re-appearance of the 7" single. Yay! The first thing I collected. And they're back. Anyway....]

Now, it's important to realise that CD was a dramatic change from LP. LP's could be scratched easily, they didn't like handling, they crackled and popped and were generally very fragile wee beasties. CD on the other hands promised "perfect sound for ever" - yeah, I know but check the adverts below...

And on to the purpose of this post. I have scanned several pages from the March '83 edition of Gramophone and put them into my Flickr account. I hope you enjoy these...

Gramophone Front Page


IMG

IMG_0001

IMG_0002

IMG_0003

IMG_0004

IMG_0005

IMG_0006

IMG_0007

IMG_0008

IMG_0009

IMG_0010

IMG_0011

IMG_0012

IMG_0013


IMG_0014

IMG_0015

IMG_0016

So, there you have it. 25 years ago this coming year a revolution happened in music. And now it's happening all over again.

If you want to go straight to my Set on Flickr then just click the heading of this post.

And finally...



Cheers and Happy New Year...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:39 pm

    I remember it was only two years later that I got my first CD Player and my first 2 CDs - Jean Michel Jarre Oxygene, and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms.

    ReplyDelete